Monday, February 24, 2014

Wrap-Up of Ravellenics 2014


I participated in my first Ravellenic games this year! Ravellenics coincides with the Olympics and it's a time where fiber artists challenge themselves to complete projects and compete on teams.

I was on the team TreeHouse Crochet and started out the games by not pushing myself too hard. I coasted through the first 4 or 5 projects and chose one project that took an entire week of focus to complete. 

Aerial Unwind

This was by far the easiest competition that I participated in. I was making a scarf for a swap and ended up not having enough wool to complete the scarf. 


I used every inch of yarn, then had to frog it (unwind it). It was really hard to unravel that many hours of work, but it was also incredibly freeing! I may start unwinding a little more regularly in the future. 


Hat Halfpipe

I watched a lot of Olympics on NBC simply because I was competing in Ravellenics. I caught the Women's Halfpipe event and was so sad to hear the story of Sarah Burke. Her story and the coverage of this event was truly inspiring and, even now, I continue reflecting on the comments of her parents in the interview. They are truly amazing parents whom I aspire to be like.

 Owen Hat - Made by Niccupp Crochet - Designed by Loops of Love

Toy Tobogganing

Of course this was the most fun event of all! Who doesn't smile when they make fun toys for kids? We have named this dog puppet, Scout, since that's the name of the dog in our church's Sunday School lessons. The kids love Scout! I get to teach Sunday school next week and can't wait to use him with the kids. 

Free pattern from Stitch 11

WIPs Dancing

Intended for a charity collection seeking 70 animals for children in a women's shelter, Owen the Monkey quickly fell through the cracks last fall. I had finished crocheting all the pieces (including his head/body and facial features not shown in this fun photo) last October, but her remained in pieces until now.


 And here he is all finished next to his favorite monkey friend, Peach.


Scarf Super-G and Mitten Moguls

Do you remember that scarf above where I ran out of yarn? I remade it creating a pattern as I went and here's the finished scarf.


Since this scarf is a little more open-work, I ended up having enough wool remaining to barely squeeze out this matching pair of fingerless gloves.



Sweaterboard Cross

This is the area where I challenged myself. I never make garments. I typically refuse requests to make dresses, clothing and blankets. These projects take so much time and just aren't worth it. But, I decided that I would make a sweater once for myself. The total project cost for this sweater was $20.00 and this includes the price of the yarn and the price of the pattern.


I need to get better photos of the sweater. It's called the Simply Elegant Sweater designed by Jenny King. It's a gorgeous, loose-fitting design that I truly believe would look great on any body type. I wore it to church today and it got a lot of positive feedback. I don't know why, but I'm always a little embarrassed when things I make get that much attention.

This sweater weighs close to 20 oz. and used between 950-1,000 yards of Caron Simply Soft yarn.


Conclusion of Ravellenics 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed the games! I really pushed myself to make the sweater and I'm so happy to have actually finished it in time. I can't believe that I fit in SIX projects aside from this one. I'm completely amazed at what we can accomplish when we push ourselves to reach our goals.

My team, Treehouse Crochet, had a competition running based on projects completed during the games and the total yardage of our projects. But, I'm satisfied in earning the Ravthlete badge! I'll be wearing it proudly as my Ravatar for many weeks to come. 


5 comments:

  1. YAY! Congrats on all your excellent finishes!! I think you deserve a gold medal for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe we won AND tied for Gold. :-)

      Delete
  2. Great projects! I am especially loving the little doggy puppet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I plan on making another one for my son. He loves playing with the puppet at church, but he wants one for home, too.

      Delete
  3. Ja, das ist wirklich schon. Ich liebe deine Ideen.

    Sonnensegel rechteckig

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...